Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Guns and Short Vacations...

My wife and I had a vacation planned for the end of May for three weeks. We were all set to go when one of our client's geologists decided that he didn't like having somebody new working on his wells (remember that I'm a geologist). He worked fine with new people before, so why now? It takes a crew of two people working back to back 12 hour shifts to "geosteer" a well. We basically watch horizontal wells and steer them so that they stay in the oil. So, after much debating, I finally had to settle on leaving on the 1st of June - requiring the new guy to work in another field and the only two experienced crew left to work on his wells.

This was supposed to be a nice long break, three weeks of vacation and then three weeks of classes at the Halliburton facility. I got three days into my classes and got called back due to the needs of this same exact client. So... wife has to stay in Houston (because she's got a PA licensing test to take) and I have to go back and attend a job that really didn't need attending. Well, since then, I've been working, without a day off from 7AM till I get home at 9 or 10 every night. Everything in my house decided to fall apart all at once... Every air conditioner is leaking. Washing machine is broken, and our maid's uncle .... that's another blog topic.... and before anyone starts going, "oooOOOooo... a maid... are we hoity toity"... Everyone has maids here. They're very cheap and every house has a maids quarters in the back.

So then... The icing on the cake... 4 AM my wife calls and apparently, someone has broken into our storage shed on my parents farm (in Texas) and stolen both of my gun safes... We're talking heavy armor... Lots of guns... I had a collectors license, so I had recorded serial numbers on nearly all of them... So that much is good. The loss is sad. Some of the guns I had were family heirlooms, handed down through the family. The serial numbers were put on a nation wide database, so we'll see what turns up...

No comments: