Saturday, November 29, 2008

Harmful Algal Bloom

Yes... Yet another day of red tide here on the beaches of Azaiba (in Muscat). I stepped outside my door this morning and it smelled like a whale just farted in my face. I guess if you live on the beach, you get the good with the bad. Only this nastyness has been going on for a few weeks now. It might be a good thing for tourists to ask about the red tide activity before coming here if they plan on swimming in ocean. What's really bad is that the smell somehow gets into the house and gets stored there so that you don't miss it's most extreme smell over the day while you were at work.

I'm told that the hotels and private beaches clean up the mess created by the red tide, but I can't help noticing how fish markets seem to be overflowing with fish during these events. Don't they know that fish killed by a red tide is poisonous?

1 comment:

Kk said...

So! that was the smell!
I was nearly sick!