Thursday, October 23, 2008

My Driving Rant...

Road planning, or lack there of...

What is it with this city and it's blind fascination for one way roads and parking lots for *** sake?? The other day, I entered the parking lot for the CCC and decided, after driving toward McDonalds, that I'd rather have a cup of coffee and a pastry at Second Cup (near the parking lot entrance)... I had to LEAVE THE PARKING LOT in order to get back to Second Cup.

A few weeks ago I wanted to go to Zakher Mall. I had never been there and the new Omantel office was there... I missed my turn for the Mall. All I can say is that Ghala is a nice town...

This town is so afraid of traffic jams that they seem to have completely banned the left turn... Roads quite often have barricades to stop you from turning left with no overpasses, underpasses or roundabouts for as long as 20 km... It's frustrating to say the least!

Parking...

In Texas, where one out of every three people have a gun in their car, we don't usually have to deal with discourteous behavior on the level that you see here. Someone said that Omanis are the kindest and gentlest culture - till they get behind the wheel of a car. Omanis on the road are one thing (I think 'ruthless' best describes their habits). However, I have never seen such a level of blind self centeredness when it comes to parking! A' Romelah Street (where most of the car dealerships are) is the worst. It is incredible to me to see someone park in such a way that blocks other cars from leaving. However, on A' Romelah Street, I've seen people parallel park in front of the only exit to an entire parking lot! What kind of sociopathic mentality thinks that parking in such a way is acceptable?

A' Romelah Street: A fine example of what parking is like on A' Romelah Street can be found here.

What I don't get is that Muscat isn't that big of a city. We shouldn't have the traffic congenstion and parking problems that we have. True, much of the city was thought out before there were cars and even today, houses are built before roads are built that lead to them, but something is seriously wrong with the planning in this town.

Solution? Follow Singapore's example. Allow only X number of cars on the road in in specific districts and have districts that are restricted to only necessary vehicles. This would be one example... But I have noticed the lack of multilevel parking. There needs public multilevel parking available in every shopping area and heavy business district.

Anyone else have a solution?

2 comments:

www.miltonsbells.com said...

OMG, that parking lot moron would have made me lose my cool! You have my sympathies!

Karen

Anonymous said...

How about flying cars? Haha...

Just kidding! I hear the traffc problem in Muscat is getting worse by the day. I would be glad I don't have to experience it if not for the fact that the traffic & parking problm in Mumbai is probably worse.